Tuesday 2 April 2019

H2H 2019: The Eve Before Departure

I previously participated in the inaugural ride of H2H: Ride for Vietnam back in November 2009 and I now find myself back in Vietnam on the eve of the 10th anniversary ride, thinking about then and now.

Then: 13 riders (12 Ho Chi Minh City based ILA English teachers + 1 friend from overseas), 1 support vehicle, no sponsors, no matching cycling kits that identified us as charity cyclists, very few spare parts for bicycles, and there may not have even been a first aid kit. As there were no smartphones amongst the cyclists and no GPS navigation, we relied on a paper map, road signs, and some guidance from the driver of our support vehicle.

Now: 15 riders (though upwards of 20 in some years, including Vietnamese cyclists), 2 support vehicles, multiple sponsors, matching cycling kits that identify our charities and sponsors, multiple spare parts for bicycles, a bike mechanic (who also cycles with the riders because cycling is awesome), a genuine first aid kit, smartphones, GPS navigation, and social media.

H2H has grown and developed so much over the last 10 years, it’s kind of unbelievable. When we finished the first ride, I had hoped that the ride would continue, but we truthfully had no idea. We were just thrilled to have done the journey and made it back to Ho Chi Minh City. We were also pleased to have made it past our humble fundraising goal of I think $15,000 USD (we made ~$24,000 if I remember correctly).
Final send-off fundraising events have occurred and the pre-departure team dinner at KOTO Restaurant in Hanoi (one of our charity partners) are completed. Bikes are fully assembled and the group test ride around West Lake (Ho Tay) went well without any significant issues. We also had an opportunity to visit the Blue Dragon Foundation (another one of our charity partners) and learn about the work they are doing with street youth, children in crisis, and human trafficking. There isn’t anything left to do except get some sleep, eat a good breakfast in the morning, drink some coffee, and stop wondering if I trained enough. At this point it no longer matters because it’s go time.
10 years ago, on the eve of the first ride, I wrote the following in my personal journal that I kept during the ride. For the most part, it still holds true. Except the weather. We ride in April and I don’t think the full brunt of the monsoon rain will be upon us yet.

"I'm super excited to see the rural side of Vietnam while cycling, but I'm equally terrified of the reckless traffic, random pullouts, the mountains, and the weather, which will be blistering hot, muggy, and a bit monsoony"

Note: This is published late owing to a lack of reliable wifi during the first days of the hotel and my own inability to figure out how to turn my phone into a wifi hotspot at the time. This post also appears at my personal website.

-Justene

No comments:

Post a Comment