Monday 15 April 2019

Day 13: Hue to A Luoi


It’s Thursday, April, 11th, also known as day 13 of the ride, my day to blog.  As many of you know, my son Zachary has lived in Vietnam for the last 7 years and has done this H2H ride twice before. While I love biking and adventures, I never envisioned myself doing this ride until last year when he told me that he would be co-leading the H2H Ride in 2019 and asked if I’d like to join him.  My first reaction was, “I thought you were coming home in 2018?”   My second reaction was “hell yeah but I got to check with your mom first, she might have something to say about this.”  My wife Eileen was supportive from the start and even offered encouragement on days when I had my doubts about going. 

So here I am, day 13 and I’m already concerned that it’s going by too quickly. In just two weeks we’ll be rolling into Ho Chi Minh city and shortly thereafter saying our goodbyes. It’s a great team and it will be hard to say goodbye.  We went through all the typical team dynamics as we each go to know one another and quickly the rough edges gave way to a genuine concern for one another and a shared goal, to make it through this ride and in the process raise money for disadvantaged children.
So how was today?  I could complain that it was hot, 99 with a heat index of 117.  I could complain that it was all uphill, nearly 5,000 feet of climb over 42 miles. I could complain that it rained so hard that at times it was difficult to see where I was going.  I could complain that the power keeps going out in this rural hotel and I won’t be able to dry my wet clothes.  But I won’t complain.  Today was what I expected, what I signed up for, it was a merely a page of this gritty adventure called H2H and I’m thrilled to be a part of it.

The day started as we sadly departed Hue with it’s western-friendly cuisine and access to craft beer. The route out of Hue was not so straightforward so Mr Cuong led us out of town as a group.  As we left town we were greeted by the gently rolling hills of the countryside which soon gave way to rises proudly tagged as 10%.



As the ascent progressed, we stopped for cokes at a roadside “café”.  There were two young men at the café filling their scooters with gasoline. I like anything with two wheels and was immediately drawn to the scooters they were riding.  These scooters looked as old as the hills themselves and were heavily modified for use in dirt only.  The gas tank, likely rusted out long ago, had been replaced with an empty plastic container.  Someone had also doubled up on both the front and rear shocks and wrapped chains on the rear tire for traction.  The bikes looked like something right out of a Mad Max film.  I’m so impressed with not only the kindness but also the resourcefulness of the Vietnamese people.



Late morning and we’re still climbing, it’s hot and getting hotter and we seek out shade every opportunity we get.  I really learned the value of these short shade breaks to recover and they often also presented a photo opportunity.  It’s now nearly mid-day and the temps drop as the storm clouds roll-in and bring much welcomed rain.  It rained for nearly an hour but I just kept going, I felt it was better to ride in the rain than the hot temps that might replace the rain shortly afterwards. 


The rain stopped and I actually felt chilled for a little while as my kit began to dry.  Only 19 Km left to A Loui which I instinctively convert to 12 miles, I’m almost there!   As my mind wanders during the ride I’m often distracted by the Vietnam highway signs, some are amusing, some are just confusing.  This one in particular I found amusing as I’ve seen more than a half-dozen variations, some look like an elementary school art class project.




Finally reached the top of the hill at the “T” promised by Zach Kester.  I took the right and after a couple more kilometers found Zach waiting near the hotel with a much-deserved cold beer.  We waited for the other riders and then proceeded to our hotel.  The hotel routine is fairly consistent from day to day, town to town.  We arrive, get our assigned rooms, carry the luggage up the stairs, shower, wash our kits, find a way to dry them, get some dinner, team meeting and go to bed.  Wake up, find food, load luggage into the DHL van, stretch, days riding instructions delivered by Zach, and off we go again.  While it may sound like “Rinse and repeat”, each day offers new adventures and sights.  I feel very fortunate to be part of this great cause in 2019.


Big thanks to Repsol Vietnam for kindly sponsoring this great cause.

Respectively submitted by Dennis Kester



No comments:

Post a Comment