Sunday 14 April 2019

Day 11: Dong Ha to Hue

High intonation, softly spoken: “Andrea, it’s time to wake up...” “10 minute snooze please” **10 minutes go by** “Andrea..... It’s time to wake up” James, that was the nicest alarm clock ever. It’s day 11! So many things excited me about this day, although I knew the terrain was going to be far from pleasant. The first exciting thing, it’s Zak's birthday!! I did set my snooze extra early, rallied a team of morning birdies to help me scheme and steal Zak’s bike so we could jazz it up!! There were balloons, tinsel and a miniature action figure of Thor, strapped on with some sturdy floral masking tape to guide our fearless leader into the imperial city of Hue. Which brings me to the next thing that excites me, it’s our HUECATION!! Yes the team finally gets our first day of rest, much needed after 11 consistent days of mounting a bicycle in painted-on lycra early in the morning. Oh the joys that await us in Hue; cheese, craft beer, bike shops, ATMS, massages, barber shops, and (mini drumroll please) Anastasia! Yes, on top of birthday’s and rest days, I got to help Zak’s wife surprise him on his birthday, during our Huecation! Indeed, there were so many things to motivate me to get on that bike, and pump those pistons to take me into Hue.
We all know the ride itself into Hue isn’t going to be a nice one. It’s on highway 1, which is a heavily trafficked two lane road with flying trucks, busses and cars, and then a wide shoulder for the motorbikes, electric bikes, tractors, and of course, bicycles. The team is reminded it’s a day to highly engage the sight and hearing senses to stay safe. Banh mi, stretchy stretchy time, circle time, 1..2…3.. H2H !! And we’re off. As I mentioned, Anastasia, Zak’s wife was coming to surprise him. In order to know when Zak was going to arrive, I had to stick with him on the route, so I could essentially be his homing pigeon and turn on my “location sharing” once we were 10km outside of Hue. We set off, and it is H-O-T. 20km into the ride, we stop for our first water break. 15km later, our coconut break. 15km later, Andrea is losing steam and needs to smash two ice cream cones. One of my favourite things about the ride is how much food and drink you’re encouraged to consume in order to keep those pistons moving. Eventually, we’re 7km out of town, and the front riders re-group for one or two road sodas before we make our entrance through the Imperial City, to DMZ pub, where Anastasia anxiously awaits.
I’m right behind Zak as we’re cycling down Le Loi, and I can see Ana and DMZ in my line of vision. I’ve got my phone out, ready to get some good content, as I try to film the moment of surprise. But that’s probably a bad idea cause I can’t see his facial expression! And because I shouldn’t be riding with my phone out!! And because I foolishly crashed my right handlebar into his bum trying to document the moment! Oh Thicc Thunder did scold me, but we were all jovial and laughing as the most important part was that we were in Hue, all together and in tack.
We spent that evening going out to a super groovy 50s themed American diner style restaurant owned by a Vietnamese-French man to give Zak one more final surprise — a 20lbs birthday burger!! Everyone was in good spirits, and Old Skool even put on her romper!!
Huecation all I ever wanted, Huecation had to get away! I would also like to take a moment to give a very special thanks to Susan Payne and Associates for sponsoring H2H 2019. https://www.payneassociates.com/ I dedicate my next day of cycling to our beloved Nannie. Words by Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment